[mythtv-users] HVR950Q analog mode audio not working in Myth.

marshalj at scrambling.ca marshalj at scrambling.ca
Mon Dec 31 05:56:07 UTC 2012

Mythbuntu 12.04
MythTV 0.25.3 + fixes

DCT700 cable box, which spits out plain old-school cable or composite.
I'm using composite for audio and video.

HVR950Q, video works great in Myth (I've tried V4L, MJPEG, and MPEG4, and
they all appear to work equally well, surprisingly).  Audio doesn't work
in Myth, but works fine in tvtime.  tvtime senses hw:2,0 audio input
device.  Specifying ALSA:hw:2,0 in Myth results in unusual errors in the
backend logs:

2012-12-30 22:49:19.701446 E  AudioInALSA(hw:2,0): weird return from
snd_pcm_readi: Input/output error
2012-12-30 22:49:29.701654 E  AudioInALSA(hw:2,0): weird return from
snd_pcm_readi: Input/output error

I've tried all kinds of strings in the audio device box in Myth, but most
result in obvious errors in the backend log summarized by "cannot open
bogus device that doesn't exist, bonehead".  I've tried hw, plughw, and
even dsnoop "prefixes" per arecord -l's output...  No joy.

I've never done much with Linux desktop audio stuff.  I've been a Linux
server nerd since '95, but am severely under-skilled on the desktop
aspects of Linux.  Hopefully my error isn't too stupid, and someone can
help me out by asking the questions I should have pre-answered in THIS
email in order to seed discussion :)

Jason M
Calgary