[mythtv-users] Which "smart" TVs work with the mythtv UPNP server?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 03:53:22 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> Which "smart" TVs (or DVD/Bluray Players) work with the mythtv UPNP server?
>
> I googled for this and found some old threads and thought it time to ask
> again.
>
> I realize it is not so much a matter of "work" as what formats will the
> "smart" TV (or Bluray Player) play back and what, if any, UPNP
> incompatibilities there might be between the mythtv upnp server and the
> "smart" TV (or Bluray Player).
>
> I was looking at the Samsung lineup.  So any information regarding Samsung
> equipment would be most interesting.  But I'm sure others would like to
> hear any success anyone has had with UPNP.

I have a LG 55LW6500 which is a 55inch LED panel, Cinema 3d, from last
year's (ie 2011's) crop. DLNA against Mythtv 0.25 which records SD (576i)
& HD (1080i) h.264/aac/ac3 from NZ terrestrial freeview via two HD
Homeruns.

For the purposes of this thread I gave it a brief test this afternoon. The
DLNA works to a certain extent, but the gotchas I experienced are:

1. When you drill down through Recordings|Titles|A Series you get a
selection of buttons representing each recording. The title is on the
button, but there is only room for the title, not the subtitle, and there
is no mention of the recording date. Therefore it is hard to find|play an
episode you want. When you select a button, the title:subtitle scrolls, but
it takes ages and you could die of boredom. If anyone wants more info I'll
take a pic and post it somewhere. There doesn't seem to be any way to
change the "theme" or get any more information.

2. When you play a recording, the ffwd|skip is very limited. ffwd will go
to 2x and not further. skip does not work at all. I think this is probably
to do with the codecs, because in DLNA|Videos I could skip and properly
ffwd a xvd/mp3/avi file just fine.

3. Playback quality is good. Clearly in a country that traditionally uses
PAL and also has 6.264 in it's main public|free broadcaster, this has the
"Euro" features that enable h.264 playback (it has DVB-T built in), whether
that codec is included in, eg, a US model I do not know.

Overall the poor ui and the inability to skip make it a poor substitute for
any proper frontend and the revo will be plugged into it for the
foreseeable future.

Having noted that there is an Open Source samsung frontend mentioned
elsewhere in this thread I have registered as an LG developer and
downloaded the SDK, but as I cannot code my way out of a wet paper bag
don't expect anything this side of Xmas :) Plus the overall gui speed ot LG
apps is pretty bad, so I think I'll probably end up keeping my revo after
all.

There is mention of LG Tvs and HLS about on the web, so that might be an
avenue to explore.