[mythtv-users] tuner priorities

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 30 20:00:00 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2012 04:50 PM, Tom Hayward wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> I'm making this distinction so that others reading the thread or the
>> archives find the right settings.  Generally speaking, no one should set
>> Input Priority (popularly called "tuner priority").  It's pretty much just a
>> way of saying, "This input is broken but I'd rather get the occasional bad
>> recording out of it than fix my system."
> Sorry to hijack the thread, but how would you classify this use case
> (broken system / sub-optimal configuration / optimal):
>
> I have an HDHomeRun Dual connected to antenna receiving ATSC. Channels
> are generally 12-16 Mbps MPEG2.
>
> I have an HDHomeRun Prime connected to cable receiving QAM. Channels
> are generally 9-12 Mbps MPEG2.
>
> I give the HDHR Dual inputs higher priority because the picture
> quality from ATSC is better. The picture quality from cable isn't bad,
> just not as good as ATSC. Is this optimal or is there a better way to
> encourage programs to record from the higher quality steam?

This is almost definitely a misconfiguration.

The reason is because (as I described in my previous post) priority
tells MythTV *what* to record--not where to record it.  With your
configuration, you're telling MythTV, for example, that you'd rather
record New Girl airing on HDHR Dual/ATSC than record The Walking Dead on
the HDHR Prime/cable--and, though New Girl is a pretty good show, I'm
sure no one in their right mind would actually want it over The Walking
Dead.  ;)  (Because with Input Priorities, you're not saying, "The
Walking Dead on ATSC is better than The Walking Dead on cable," you're
saying, "Any garbage on ATSC is better than anything (even different
shows) on cable,"--of course, to the point of the priority change.
This, I think, is the reason people expect Input Priority is what they
want to use--because they think it compares only one show to the same
show on the other input.  In fact, it compares everything on that input
to everything else on the other input.)

What you do want to do is tell MythTV the priority of shows (using
recording rule priorities)--so you can say that The Walking Dead is
preferred over New Girl--but then tell MythTV that when assigning tuners
for recording, it should use them in an order that starts with the HDHR
Dual/ATSC inputs and then goes to HDHR Prime/cable.

When MythTV schedules recordings, it will always put the
highest-priority shows on the most-preferred (first-ordered) available
input.  So, it finds the highest-priority show airing, then goes through
your Schedule Order to find the first-ordered input on which it can
record that show.  Then it finds the 2nd-highest-priority show airing at
that same time and assigns it to the 2nd-ordered input.  So, if you set
your Schedule Order to be HDHR Dual/ATSC #1, then HDHR Dual/ATSC #2,
then HDHR Prime/cable #1, MythTV will get your favorite shows off
ATSC--where possible--and only use cable when it has to--which I'm
pretty sure is exactly what you were trying to tell it to do when you
set Input Priorities.

If you try to ab^H^Huse Input Priorities to tell MythTV where to record
shows, you'll end up missing some show you like a lot, then posting a
thread, "Strange scheduling," or "Scheduling problem," or "Scheduler not
working," and--after spending a lot of time discussing and looking over
your scheduler output--our scheduler expert will tell you the problem is
that you've set Input Priorities such that they told MythTV not to
record the show you really like.  You may say that's not what you mean
when you set them, but that's what you're saying when you set them.  If
you haven't seen this problem, yet, you've either been lucky, or you've
just failed to notice it, and you'll likely see it one day.

Note, too, that if you've been ab^H^Husing Input Priorities this way and
you remove them (Delete all capture cards, re-create capture cards,
re-connect inputs--and doing so won't affect channels or video source
nor require rescanning, so it's a very quick process) and rely on the
Schedule Order, you may see changes in the way MythTV schedules things.
If so, it simply means that you had adapted your recording rule
priorities in an attempt to take into account the way that Input
Priorities were breaking scheduling (and ended up with an unstable
equilibrium, with everything balancing on a needle point), and you may
need to fine-tune them, again, back to where they should have been for
it to schedule properly (such that each rule priority tells MythTV how
much you like that show compared to others).  (So, if you remove the
Input Priorities and things don't seem to work, please don't say, "It
doesn't work," without actually looking at/fixing your rule priorities,
too.  Though, chances are, you won't see this issue--if you were pretty
good at setting rule priorities in the first place.)

Input Priorities are meant to say, "I'd rather miss a show than record
it from this tuner."  So, if you have a PVR-150 connected to a digital
TV converter box or DTA via RF-modulated (channel-3 output) connection,
and have a couple of HDHR Prime tuners and an HD-PVR (for example), you
may actually want to reduce the priority of the PVR-150--in which case
you're saying, "I really don't want to watch any show recorded off the
150," at which point, you may want to consider why you actually have the
150 connected (versus just getting more Primes or HD-PVRs or ...).

Similarly, Channel Priority may actually be used to say, "I'd rather
miss a show than record it off this channel on this input"--for example,
because the signal you get over the antenna for that channel is really
poor and results in audio cut-out and picture breakup consistently
throughout the show.  If all the other channels on the antenna come in
well, leaving the input connected is still appropriate, though you may
want to consider removing the "bad channel" from the Video Source, instead.

Mike