[mythtv-users] Optimal disk configuration for MythTV?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Dec 30 17:09:52 UTC 2012

On 12/30/2012 06:11, Jelte Veldstra wrote:

>> Cool detailing, thank you. Great food for thought. May I ask which version
>> are you running of myth now?  Is this power consumption calculated or
>> measured, if measured by what means?
>>

> An Intel system with a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU and a H61/67/77
> Q61/67/77 would draw about 20W idle without harddisks, OS on an SSD
> and a Pico PSU or any other efficient PSU.

Just another point of reference, my current primary frontend is a G2120
(3.1GHz dual-core Ivy Bridge) using onboard graphics, no disk, and no
optical drive. With an open frame non-80Plus power supply, idle is 25W,
ATSC playback is 32W, and full CPU load is 45W, measured at the wall.

A powerful CPU does not necessarily mean a power consuming CPU, and when
that 25W idle will cost me all of about $25/yr in electricity, trying to
cut that down further with an Atom or ARM will see a significant drop in
capability for a rapidly diminishing gain.