[mythtv-users] Playing 16:9 recordings on a 4:3 monitor

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 00:08:12 UTC 2012

>     >
>     I just hit m - video settings - adjust fill - off.
>     -------------- next part --------------
>     An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>

> This does not do anything. My monitor is 4:3 but the recordings are
> 16:9. Hitting 'w' does not change anything though it shows 'V-Stretch'
> etc. The Video playback is unaffected.

In Setup/Video/PlayBack, second screen "General Playback (2/8)" there's
a parameter labelled "Video aspect override", change this to "4:3" and
all videos will be automatically adjusted to 4:3 at time of playing on
that specific frontend.

I do the same (similar) for my 16:9 displays (and one 14:9) to force 4:3
media to adjust to fit the screen.

Also remember to pick a Theme that's formatted for 4:3 (e.g. MythCentre
1.1, Childish, Steppes-narrow, ) or you'll lose stuff like the date/time
at the edge of the screen, as the themes appear to be fixed to specific
aspect ratios.

Cheers
Gordon

Cheers