[mythtv-users] Remove a Storage Group

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Dec 28 18:35:00 UTC 2012

> I currently have two HDDs in my system.  One is mounted as /myth is
> partitioned to hold photos, music, movies, fanart, livetv, and recording
> shows (/myth/shows1).  The other disk is partitioned for the OS, and
> recording shows (/myth/shows2).  Both directories (/myth/shows1,
> /myth/shows2) are listed in the Default Storage Group.
>
> When watching certain shows that are actively recording, I experience a 1
> sec pause, every 5-7 seconds.  It was determined that this was caused by
> using the OS disk for recording shows (something about the amount of IO
> generated by Mysql).  I do not experience this pausing problem when
> watching livetv, since livetv is stored on the other disk.
>
> So, my plan is to install a 3rd HDD into the system, add that to the
> Default Storage Group (/myth/shows3), and remove the OS disk (/myth/shows2).
>
> I want to know if removing /myth/shows2 from the Default Storage Group
> will prevent me from watching any previously recorded shows that currently
> reside within the /myth/shows2 directory.

Just create another storage group and add mythtv/shows2 to it... then the
recordings will still be available, but because none of your recording
rules target that group, nothing further will be written there.

Or, make the folder read-only to mythtv by changing the permissions...
IIRC, the system will detect this and not attempt to write recordings there.