[mythtv-users] Standalone music player with mythfrontend on Raspberry PI?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Fri Dec 28 16:26:14 UTC 2012

On 10.12.2012 11:03, Gordon McCrae wrote:
> I'm looking to add music playback functionality into a room with no TV
> display, so the normal MythTV frontend isn't appropriate.

I'm not sure how well that would work, but I remember a thread about
controlling a MythTV frontend via text-to-speech using the LCD
functions.

I can imagine a Raspberry PI + LCD Display + Remote Control being a
nice solution for the task at hand. Obviously its build instead of buy.

Thinking about the details it makes a nice milestone on the way to a
full MythTV frontend on limited devices as you get away with only
reducing memory usage a bit (you can tear out all big pictures via a
dedicated theme) instead of squeezing everything in. And you don't need
to hook up the video decoder if you restrict yourself to MythMusic.

Attaching a IR receiver + HD 44780 LCD Display + small case makes a
nice project on its own, too. Maybe some of the XBMC (or generic PI)
users have something already finished in that direction.

Regards,
Karl

PS: There are resctrictions, like 5.1 audio only via HDMI.