[mythtv-users] Permissions on recordings

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:56:51 UTC 2012

On 28/12/2012 8:36 AM, "Paul Stillwell" <bigboi at wackywombats.com> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
> > On 12/26/2012 11:35 PM, Paul Stillwell wrote:
> >> I also noticed that new recordings are owned by 'root' and group
'root'. Is that correct? I would have assumed that they were owned by
'mythtv', group 'mythtv'.

> > They will be owned by the user running the mythbackend process.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Wouldn't the user running mythbackend be root? I'm not super familiar
with how things get run at startup, but I'm assuming that things that get
set to start when the system boots would be owned by root. Is that correct?

> Paul

As Mike mentioned above it looks like you didnt use the -a (preserve)
option in rsync which means the files were created with wrong (local)
permissions at the destination. You probably did another mistake and used
/source/recordings instead /source/recordings/ which also changed the owner
of recordings directory too. Also note here that for all this to work
properly you need to have the same user with same uid and gid in both
source and destination systems.