[mythtv-users] Remove a Storage Group

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 27 18:14:33 UTC 2012

On 12/25/2012 02:27 PM, Robert Dege wrote:
> Just as a sanity check, if I remove a storage group, will I still be
> able to access any recordings that are still located there?

To clarify...

A Storage Group is just a logical name for a list of directories.

If you remove a Storage Group, you are simply removing that name.  That
means that any recording rules created to record to that Storage Group
will instead fall back to using the default Storage Group, called Default.

When MythTV is looking for recordings, it will look in all the
directories associated with that Storage Group.  If it doesn't find the
recording in that Storage Group, it will search in all the other
directories associated with all the other Storage Groups defined on this
and every other host in the MythTV system.

So, if you happen to have the directory in which the recordings are
stored in any other Storage Group for any host in MythTV, the recordings
will be accessible.

Mike