[mythtv-users] Meta-data for recordings

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 21:55:20 UTC 2012

On Dec 27, 2012 1:48 AM, "Fred Watt" <fredwattmythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/12/12 03:31, Nick Rout wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 24, 2012 11:18 PM, "Fred Watt" <fredwattmythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi - does anyone know of a script or simple way of adding meta data
tags to a recording .mpg file?  I wanted to populate tags as such as title
etc, but was wondering if there was a way to inject the values rather than
copy as in this example?

>> > ffmpeg -i file.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy -metadata title="Dancing
Bear" -metadata comment="Title Created Using FFmpeg metadata tag"
outputfile.avi

>> > Is there a better way to do this using mythtv?
>> >
>> > My use case is that I would like to expose recordings to a oppo 103
(via twonky upnp, or cifs) and use this as a play back device.

>> The metadata is in the database and is accessible via mysql (either
directly or via python or perl bindings). However if use myth's upnp server
you won't need to insert the metadata in the file itself.

> Thank you for the reply Nick.  I've never had much success with MythTV's
upnp implementation (been a mythtv user for over 6 years).  I've found that
some folders like "By Date" cause clients to just hang.  Using 'All
recordings' I do see a date ordered list, but selecting a HD BBC recoding
often results in a Error in the client player (iMediaShare/Dice Player on
Android for example).  Basically I have a poor user experience, kind of
given up using it.

> This is why I use twonky, I have a master and slave/frontend setup.  The
master also runs twonky which serves a directory containing recordings from
the slave.  I sync the slave recording folder, as this allows the master to
serve content to other devices (laptops, android tablets, phones, other
ubuntu computers) with out having to have the slave (with all the tuner
h/w) & recordings powered on and running.  The 'low powered' master has
recordings symbolically linked from a directory so that twonky can serve up
content with a 'nice' name for each recording such as '20121224180800
Carols from King's.mpg'.

> What I am trying to do is use a oppo 103 as the main living room client,
and remove the need to using the slave/frontend for watching play back.
The oppo can work with either CIFS or upnp.  But given my difficulties with
mythtv's upnp, I use twonky.  The only problem I have with twonky serving
recordings is that there's no meta data in the recording mpg hence my
original question.   Might be on a hiding to nothing, but I am interested
in the oppo as it has excellent playback capabilities and is very low
powered.  It can also be used as a media renderer so - like mythfrontend -
you can 'throw' content at it from Android.  But it also allows you to
throw and render 'images' which is something that mythfrontend cannot
currently do.

can't you continue to use symlinks which effectively puts the metadata in
the filename and then use twonky as you have been?

You could set up a script to do as you suggest. Run it manually on your
existing recordings and then trigger it on recording completion for new
ones.