[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend can't ping database host

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:04:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 25/12/12 15:54, Tim Phipps wrote:
>
>> Quoting Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Cannot find (ping) database host 192.168.1.101 on the network
>>>

>> That's because 192.168.1.101 is not a host name it's an IPv4 address. Try
>> using
>> the hostname instead. I had the same problem when I moved a lot of stuff
>> IPv6: mythbackend will only ping an IPv4 resolvable hostname and I didn't
>> have
>> an IPv4 address for my database.
>>
>>  You're much more likely to be able to ping an IP address than you are
> pinging a hostname. After all, /someone/ has to resolve that hostname into
> an IP address for the ping to work at all!
>
> The resolving can be done either (or both) of two ways: You either have an
> /etc/hosts file in the machine that needs to do the resolving or someone on
> your internal network has a DNS resolver. This last is usually your router
> or firewall. If you are all on the same box (a combined BE/FE) then a hosts
> file is usually enough.
>
> 192.168.1.101 is either: powered off, disconnected from the network, bad
> cable, bad network configuration so that it's not listening, not mapped
> (see above) or firewalled. Pick one.
>
> --

It is on the same machine I am trying to do the ping from.  I can regularly
ping the machine (and can do that from another machine in the network).  I
could see a firewall issue, but don't think I have any firewall set up on
the machine (aside from the NAT router it is behind).  I am  also able to
do this, so don't understand why myth is having difficulty:
[root at localhost mythtv]# mysqladmin ping -h 192.168.1.101 -u mythtv -p
Enter password:
mysqld is alive