[mythtv-users] Suddenly taking very long time to start playback of recordings

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Dec 26 15:17:16 UTC 2012

On 26/12/12 14:45, Roald wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 12/20/2012 12:54 PM, Roald wrote:
>>> After upgrading mythtv to 0.25.3 it suddenly takes over 1 minute from
>>> I start a recording to it actually plays on the TV.
>>> The fileshare is mounted with NFS, as it has been since about 2004.
>>> There used to be an option "Always stream recordings from the backend"
>>> but I can't seem to find it?
>> If you want to stream files from the backend using MythTV protocol, either
>> don't mount their directories via NFS or mount them at some location that's
>> not in any of your Storage Group directory lists (on any host)--which, by
>> definition, means that they will be at some location different from their
>> location on the backend.
>
> So what you are telling me is that the option to force playback via
> streaming has been removed? What is the reason for that?
>
> Also it would seem that there is a bug somewhere  causing the long
> delays in starting playback over NFS. Possibly not a bug in Myth, but
> Myth was the only thing changing on the boxes, nothing else was
> upgraded.
>
> It is quite convenient to have the /video dir available over NFS. Yes,
> I understand that I could move the store-dir out of there, but really?
> It has worked fine for years..

There's no reason you can't have your /video dir served over NFS. I think what
Mike was saying was this: (i) Remove the storage directory mapping from your
front end so that myth doesn't try and find them there and (ii) mount them
somewhere different on your /front/ end - eg mount them somewhere like
/mnt/movies or such.

--

Mike Perkins