[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend can't ping database host

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 00:28:03 UTC 2012

Hi List,

I migrated from atrpms to rpmfusion yesterday.  I am running into some
issues, most I have figured out, but one is I can not capture tv anymore
(mainly with firewire, but also having issues my analog PVR-350 that is
less important).

I have tried to troubleshoot the issue by looking through the logs.  Here
is something bizarre in the logs and the console (and now it loads into
mythtv-setup):

Cannot find (ping) database host 192.168.1.101 on the network

The mythbox is on a combined frontend/backend and that is the correct ip
address.  I can do the following:
[root at localhost mythtv]# mysqladmin ping -h 192.168.1.101 -u mythtv -p
Enter password:
mysqld is alive

And my mysql contains the following (I have replaced the password with XXXX
but it is the same that I used in the mysqladmin command)
DBHostName=192.168.1.101

# By default, Myth tries to ping the DB host to see if it exists.
# If your DB host or network doesn't accept pings, set this to no:
#
#DBHostPing=no

DBPort=3306
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=XXXXX
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL

# Set the following if you want to use something other than this
# machine's real hostname for identifying settings in the database.
# This is useful if your hostname changes often, as otherwise you
# will need to reconfigure mythtv every time.
# NO TWO HOSTS MAY USE THE SAME VALUE
#
#LocalHostName=my-unique-identifier-goes-here

# If you want your frontend to be able to wake your MySQL server
# using WakeOnLan, have a look at the following settings:
#
#
# The time the frontend waits (in seconds) between reconnect tries.
# This should be the rough time your MySQL server needs for startup
#
#WOLsqlReconnectWaitTime=0
#
#
# This is the number of retries to wake the MySQL server
# until the frontend gives up
#
#WOLsqlConnectRetry=5
#
#
# This is the command executed to wake your MySQL server.
#
#WOLsqlCommand=echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'

Now, I need to comment out the "DBHostPing=no" line to run mythfrontend,
and I can access all my recordings.  It seems like this is ignoring the
problem though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks