[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Wed Dec 19 14:35:42 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-18 22:23, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Rob Davis <rob at davis-family.info>
> wrote:
>> This is the only thing Google brought up which doesn't really bode
>> well.
>>
>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10043
>
> That is because no one has provided patches.
>
> I once thought about the issue a bit, and the (new) edge
> cases that are produced regarding lock failures (and
> rescheduling for an available tuner for the current
> program, and if so, what that impacts for other future
> programs may be, and when you should try to retry
> that tuner (or try try again and continue to fail...)).
>
> In the end, I concluded that for a CAPEX of ~$130
> for an additional Prime and an OPEX of around two
> cups of designer coffee a month (for the rental of an
> additional cable card) it was a clear win to get that
> additional Prime.
>
> You can never have too many tuners, but you can
> often have too few, and trying to work around too
> few is simply not worth the effort (or the occasional
> missed "event" program).  Buy an additional
> tuner.

The problem here with Comcast is not so much the additional tuner, but
rather how their new cable card pricing works.  1 Cable Card is free, a
second is $1.99 per month but then triggers an HD Access fee of $8.99
and an additional outlet fee of $8.99 per month, so would work out to a
monthly rental of $20 + tax.  I may just drop one of the three tuners
off myth and allocate only 1 to mce.  I have 2 x HDHomeruns for OTA for
local channels, so that is probably enough.