[mythtv-users] Myth's internal lossless transcode

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:33:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Just wondering what's happening with Myth's internal lossless
> >> transcode. ...how did mythtranscode going from 100% solid to a
> >> 100% failure for many of us?
> >
> > No idea, but after someone else posted here about the 0.25
> > mythtranscode working fine with 0.26, I reinstalled it (by downloading
> > 0.25 source, recompiling, and then manually copying over mythtranscode
> > and the necessary libraries), and it's been working like a charm for
> > me.
>
> Yeah, I've heard that too and have done it as well, but it's a pain to
> remember to replace it each time I do security updates on my system.
> Not knowing the development process I'm just curious how, if the old
> one works, it's not tossed back into .26? Why is there still a broken
> component in .26?
>
> Kevin, I'm not on master, but are you saying that it could be external
> ffmpeg code? Should I be updating my ffmpeg and see if that fixes the
> issue?

Myth incorporates ffmpeg into it's code at certain intervals.  You would
need to update Myth to a version that has a fixed ffmpeg (assuming the
problem is in the ffmpeg code).  Master has a more recent ffmpeg library
incorporated than 0.26 does.  It's possible that what you're experiencing
is fixed as a result.  If not, then at least you've added the data point to
the discussion that the issue still exists in master.