[mythtv-users] OT: ubuntu 12.04 mythtv sound works but sound for other apps no longer does?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 01:40:55 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/12/2012 11:50 AM, "Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On one of my mythtv frontend machines, I'd been able to ssh in and run
>> mplayer or the Spotify app to listen to streaming music. A few days
>> ago after a dist-upgrade I am no longer able to get sound to work from
>> outside MythTV.
>>
> And you are not the only one. Clean install of 12.04 no problem, upgrade to
> 12.04 and no sound in the desktop or any other up but mythtv. It is because
> mythtv handles the sound devices much better than the other apps which use
> the system default one.
> It has something to do with the pulseaudio in 12.04. Install pavucontrol and
> try to set the default device to spdif from there.
> By the way there was already a same thread here so searching for it might
> help.

your search-fu is obviously better than mine, I couldn't find anything.

this was a clean 12.04 install, but after an update it stopped
working, so it worked fine for a few months, until an update earlier
this week.
I'm not use pulse, I have it disabled. I've been using just ALSA on it's own.
the weird thing is that mplayer, even when specifying the specific
device looks like it's playing and happy but no sound "comes out", and
all my mixer volume controls are at "100".

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!