[mythtv-users] convert video format

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Dec 13 18:35:13 UTC 2012

On 12/13/2012 12:42, jedi wrote:
> The fact that the internal player can't handle something is by no
> stretch of the imagination a good indication that someone is a pirate.

The filename "EEEM.1x48.Bogota.DVBRiP.Pica.avi" does a good enough job
of that on its own. "EEEM" is a television show called "Españoles en el
mundo", documenting Spanish living around the world, and presumably
"Pica" is the name of whatever group recorded the show off DVB, and
recompressed it.

Spanish copyright law only allows duplication for private home use, not
indiscriminate redistribution over the internet, even if strict
interpretation of the law technically requires commercial profit for a
crime to have been committed. In any case, there are no such legal
loopholes in the US where MythTV is based, and the project has long ago
decided this is an activity it wants no part of.

It is unfortunate that there is content the internal player is incapable
of handling, but the source means it's not something we can do anything
about.