[mythtv-users] Zotac ZBOX front end - input needed

Rune Evjen rune.evjen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 08:48:04 UTC 2012

2012/12/12 MythTV MythTV <mythtvuser10 at gmail.com>:

> On Tuesday, December 11, 2012, Nick Rout wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Jason <jason at wkrp.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I wanted to get some input on using a Zotac ZBOX as a Mythtv front end.
>>> Either the ID11 or ID41 I think is the way to go since they have the NVIDIA
>>> ION in them.
>>>
>>> I am currently rebuilding my backend and it will support HD video now so
>>> I need to upgrade my front end, which is an OLD 8+ year old system.  The HD
>>> video will be recorded from a HD-PVR.  I may keep a PVR-500 around for a
>>> while until I add a second HD-PVR.
>>>
>>> I do plan on converting the video for long term storage using mythical
>>> librarian.  I also play videos off the backend system using Plex on Roku and
>>> a Samsung TV Plex app.
>>>
>>> Also do the ION systems work well with Live TV?
>>>
>>> I would like any advice on if this is the way to go or if I should look
>>> into something else for a front end.  I have the back end worked out I
>>> think.  I just need some help on the front end since I've always just went
>>> with an old PC that didn't support HD video output...  Or am I better off
>>> going with an older LGA775 motherboard, a decent video card, small hard
>>> drive (or netboot), and a duo core processor with a couple gig of memory?  I
>>> could see using that but then Ilike the idea of a small all-in-one system
>>> for the bedroom that's quiet.
>>>

>> My (revo) ion1 and ion2 systems work well. Many will tell you that they
>> have little cpu power for the video files that do not have hardware support,
>> but frankly if you get ion2 you won't find much video it doesn't handle.
>>
>> specs often don't tell you if it is ion1 or ion2, but ion2 is usually
>> coupled with the d525 processor.
>

> I bought a ZBOX ID41 for my kitchen about a month ago.  I upgraded the ZBOX
> memory to 4Gig at the same time.  I run Linux Mint (Maya) 64 bit on it.  I
> installed all the MythTV dependencies using apt, used git to get the MythTV
> 0.26 fixes branch and compiled Myth and MythPlugins from scratch.
> Everything works perfect for me - Live TV, Recordings, and an occasional Air
> Play.  I use NVidia VDAPU Normal and I see only about 15% CPU use when
> playing back.  For a remote I use LIRC with the StreamZap remote that is so
> nicely supported by mythbuntu LIRC installer.  BTW I do not actually use a
> Mythbuntu Installation, I just used their quick and easy LIRC installer.
> Very happy with the ZBOX.

I have been using a ZOTAC HD-ID 11 daily for over two years as the
main frontend, with no hardware difficulties. I ran the qvpdautest
utility on this box, see
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-September/296380.html

I am using the High Quality Profile, with mixed content, both SD and 720p/1080i.
In addition I am using XBMC with vdpau as well, and some games using Wine.

The only thing I havent used/tested is the HD Audio capabilities since
this box is connected using HDMI to my LCD TV, which doesn't support
TrueHD og DTS-HD

Br,

Rune