[mythtv-users] Playback of recordings from C4HD slow to start

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 11 11:11:11 UTC 2012

On 10/12/2012 15:52, Robert Longbottom wrote:
 > On 10 Dec 2012, at 02:46 PM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com
 > <mailto:veehexx at gmail.com>> wrote:
 >>
 >> On 9 December 2012 16:26, Robert Longbottom <rongblor at googlemail.com
 >> <mailto:rongblor at googlemail.com>> wrote:
 >>     Is anyone else seeing this?  I've been seeing it for a while now,
 >>     but have only just gotten round to looking into it.
 >>
 >>     I'm running MythTV 0.25.2 on Gentoo.  I have a master backend and
 >>     a remote frontend.
 >> I've noticed this also. I'm on 0.26 with split BE & FEs.
 >> i'll give it another check when i get home (if i remember). i did a
 >> full rescan a week or 2 ago to fix some EIT issues i was experiencing.
 >> i dont recalling having the issue since then.
 >> Looks like i have a couple of recordings of C4HD content to check
 >> with, both pre and post re-scan.
 >
 > Ah, interesting. Let me know what you find out. If I just need to rescan
 > C4HD that would be a good result. I hardly ever rescan so that could
 > certainly be an issue for me.

I've always assumed it was because C4HD transmissions have very
infrequent I-frames. I think mythtv waits for one before starting
playback. I've been meaning to take a look sometime.

One slight flaw in that thought is that you'd expect to be lucky
on occasion and start just before an I-frame so it should start
quickly on occasion.

Cheers,
	Paul.