[mythtv-users] Mythmusic folder view

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Mon Dec 10 19:29:25 UTC 2012

On 10/12/12 01:24, Roger Siddons wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 10:30:05 -0000, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/12/12 22:59, Roger Siddons wrote:
>>>
>>> Playing selected tracks is a bit strange - Play doesn't work but
>>> 'Next Track' starts it going . I suspect a small bug.
>>> Playing everything else is simple: 'Replace Tracks' to play
>>> immediately or 'Add Tracks' to play it after your current
>>> album/playlist/etc.
>>>

>> I'm curious In what way doesn't Play work? Seems to work fine here!
>> Are you saying when you press Play and you have tracks in the play
>> queue it doesn't toggle Play/Pause? On which view? Which widget has
>> the focus? Does it work while playing back video/recordings?  Maybe
>> I'm misunderstanding what you want Play to do.
>>
>> Paul H.
>
> Sorry to have rattled the cage!

HeHe I'm cool with it honestly. I'm like a dog that's been kicked only
to come back for more :) I know that as soon as I say something on these
threads I will get an ear bashing but I still come back for more. I'm
only trying to be helpful. I'm saddened that some people don't have it
in their heart to see that :(

> I don't think it's a key-binding issue as I can replicate with the menus.

That's a shame I can actually reproduce that with the Hauppauge remote
using Jarod's lirc config that I downloaded from his Fedora web site
many moons ago!

> To clarify my experience in both Tree & Gallery views (0.26/fixes);
>
> - selecting an album/playlist/All Track/ etc: "Replace All" loads the
> current playlist and starts playing first track. Pause/Play works fine
> - perfectly intuitive IMO.
>
> - selecting a track: track checkbox is ticked, track goes into (empty)
> current playlist but doesn't play. Selecting Play via menu does
> nothing. Selecting Next Track via menu starts playing the track.
> Thereafter Pause/Play works fine.
>
> - or, select several tracks (checkboxes ticked/ they go into empty
> playlist), switch to Current Playlist view - there are no track status
> icons (playing, paused, stopped) anywhere in the list.
> Up/Down/Left/Right works normally switching widgets between
> inactive/selected inactive but Menu/Play does nothing. Upon selecting
> the track (OK, Enter) a track goes 'selected active' and starts
> playing. Thereafter Pause/Play work fine. Stop playing, switch view to
> editor and back again. The widgets appear the same but a 'Stopped'
> track status is shown this time on one track. Play works normally now.
>
> This all concurs with the first paragraph of 10710.
>
> My gut feeling was that putting a single track into an empty playlist
> doesn't initialise the playlist properly so any attempt to Play fails.
> However I play albums almost exclusively so I've never bothered to
> look at the code, follow previous discussions or even analyse its
> behaviour in detail until now.

OK thanks for the explanation. There is something funky going on there
I'll take a look at fixing it.

> FWIW I think you did a grand job on the rework. Many thanks from me.
>
> My main irritation is the cluttered menus but I know that's a
> (reasonable) Myth restriction.

The devs believe that most of what's available through keybindings
should also be available through the menus where appropriate for those
people who don't have huge remotes with lots of keys. It also means that
you can get rid of some of the obscure keybindings like press 1 to
change shuffle mode, 2 to change repeat mode etc. The keybindings are
still there for those that want that but the options are also available
through the menu which is much more user friendly IMHO.

> Interesting to see your private repo. I haven't had time to look
> through it. Is there an overview/summary of it's purpose and how it
> deviates from the official ? I've sometimes wondered why there are no
> off-shoot areas/repos for those who wish to extend/customise beyond
> the official constraints.

Last time I looked there was 90+ forks of the MythTV repo :) My fork is
mainly for my own personal use. I have committed some changes that
Stuart Morgan has cherry picked, mainly MythMusic stuff but most changes
are exclusive to my fork :) I can add stuff on there that might not be
to everyone's taste like the MythCenter theme changes or the Xmas-wide
theme or add stuff like the plugin to interface to my weather station
that's of no use to most people. There are some bug fixes and feature
enhancements that would be useful to others but trying to get them
committed to the main repo is a pain in the arse because I have to reply
on other devs taking an interest and cherry picking them so I tend not
to bother.

Paul H.