[mythtv-users] Multiple Mythfrontend Instances

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Dec 10 17:46:58 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 06:14 AM, Adam Skinner wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Does anyone know if there is any functionality built into myth
> frontend that would restrict it from running if there is already a
> running instances - e.g. allow only one instance setting?

I'll put my hand up for having attempted that experiment.
The answer to your question is:  NO.

I have, a couple of times, inadvertently started more than one instance
of the frontend. The result is extremely confusing to the user.
It was a while ago so I cannot remember the exact results, but iirc, the
keyboard provides strokes to one instance. Lirc passes things to both!
(They both read the socket).

So it is quite possible to start 2 different recordings, or attempt to
play one and watch live tv (which you cannot see!). The audio of both is
the only sign things are wrong.
The frontends may or may not crash spectacularly, and may or may not
bring down the entire box. YMMV.

Rate this as 'Contains coarse language and precipitous declines in WAF.
User discrection is advised'.

Geoff
--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury