[mythtv-users] Suggestion for low cost graphics card with HDMI output

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Thu Dec 6 15:03:27 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-06 08:43, Aaron Klein wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
> wrote:
>
>> But many cards with DVI output only don't have a connector to allow
>> feeding the audio in.
>>
>> For a low cost card with HDMI audio support, I'd recommend something
>> like an Nvidia 210 series card.
>
> Thanks Ill look into those.  The system I am using has intergrated
> VGA output only.  I have a card with DVI out but I would need a
> converter to take DVI and audio and mesh them into hdmi as an
> external
> adaptor and by the time I do that I might as well just get a HDMI
> card.

What type of card is the DVI only?  If NVidia 8400 or above it may be
worth working on.  If not, go with a new card.

Does your MB support PCI-E?  If not, AGP will not support a nice enough
Nvidia card.  Believe it or not, you maybe better off going PCI only
with an NVidia 8400 or above.  The HD stuff can be passed off to VDPAU
and work well enough.  (I pressed some old Dell workstations off as
Mythfrontends this way).