[mythtv-users] Advice on setting up Frontend with both WiFi & Powerline Ethernet?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:24:52 UTC 2012

I have a Frontend (FE) that I can't run ethernet cable to.

I tried WiFi and found that the throughput met my needs, but I couldn't use
WOL with WiFi amongst other things.

I set it up with Powerline Ethernet using a pair of Netgear AV+ 200
adapters.  That solved the WOL and other problems, but now the throughput
is too low to watch programs.

Now I'm wondering about whether I can combine the two to get everything
working.  Do I just put the WiFi adapter back in and let it run, expecting
the video data to get there over the shared bandwidth of the WiFi and
Powerline interfaces, should I set it up with a second hostname for the
second ethernet interface, or is there something else I haven't thought of
that would need to be addressed?

I'll be using DHCP with static IP assignments by MAC address, if that plays
into the decision matrix.

If I should set up a second hostname, I could really use some help with how
to go about doing that.

Craig.