HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Dec 5 18:12:19 UTC 2012

> With these new generation 4096 byte sector drives, you have to make sure
> to use formatting/partitioning software that will properly "align"
> cylinder start blocks. When I upgraded the drive in my laptop to a new,
> larger, Western Digital drive, it was a whole new learning curve. On
> Windows, I also needed to install a special Intel software driver to
> handle these new type of drives.
>
> If you don't do this, your drive access and throughput will be REALLY bad.
>
> Cheers, Al

Good call.
Might have to compile the latest GParted to get a usable partitioning
tool.
Moving files between WD green HDDs on core2duo..
The WD2GB EARX with incorrect alignment ~68MB/sec (~200GB copy/move)
The same HDD with correct MiB alignment ~90MB/sec.

The mis-aligned drive never seemed exactly slow..

Brett