[mythtv-users] Video 'waves' of speed up, slow down watching recorded TV

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Dec 5 17:45:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 15:33 +0000, Dan Gravell wrote:
> This might be a little hard to describe... I am using a Zotac ZBox
> ID41 as a frontend only, connected to a backend via powerline
> ethernet. It's a Mythbuntu 11.10 install.
>

> I'm using nouveau I think. Should I be using the proprietary NVidia
> drivers? Mythbuntu offered both at installation time, and with no
> other information as to which one to choose I decided on nouveau.

> I have tried VDPAU and VDPAU Slim, both seem to give the same
> behaviour.

That sounds like stuttering/frame dropping from having an under powered
CPU performing decoding.
The later nouveau driver has VDPAU overlay support only..No decode so
the CPU is used.

I would try the nVidia proprietary driver & VDPAU normal.
The ION shared system RAM setup could require a particular RAM
configuration (allocated size & number sticks), see Mythtv.org wiki..

Brett.