[mythtv-users] mythbackend 0.25 on gentoo: crashes with mythfilldatabase?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 5 14:13:47 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 04:33 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> If you use MythTV 0.26 to create a brand new database, it should create
>> tables using the proper MySQL storage engine, regardless of your MySQL
>> configuration.  Doing this will cause you to lose all of your configuration
>> and previous history.  You could use a partial restore to restore your old
>> recording information (the only non-recreatable information), but note that
>> you must use a same-versioned database backup (i.e. you'll need to upgrade
>> to 0.26, first, then back up your database, then create the new database
>> and do a partial restore):
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
> FYI - The default table type for mysql 5.5 and on is innodb.  I am guessing
> this is a non-issue for MythTV as it probably specifies the table type to
> myisam, but it is the direction they are going.

Yes, in 0.26+ we specify the table type because the defaults were
changed in MySQL.

We understand the direction and have been planning a conversion, but
it's not easy to do--as we have to make sure MythTV will work properly
regardless of the users' system configuration (including choice of file
system and file system options)--not to mention fixing MythTV so that
it's actually designed to work with InnoDB (as there are MyISAM
assumptions, as well as code that fails to work around some of InnoDB's
failings, in current MythTV).  Most likely, we will make the change once
we control the database (after embedding the database).

Mike