[mythtv-users] mythvideo: UPNP folder organization?

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Tue Dec 4 15:18:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM, jdoe <mythtv at jd67.de> wrote:

> Comments are welcome!

I recently got a new television which has UPNP/DLNA capability.
Unfortunately, for some reason I cannot connect to mythbackend with it,
even though I have no problems with a blu-ray player I also own.

I installed Serviio on my backend machine.  http://www.serviio.org  It was
pretty painless to set up.  They have instructions on their wiki for most
distributions.  Everything installed to one directory so it's very easy to
maintain.

I had to do a little bit of configuration but everything works well now.
It will transcode video on the fly if your player will not support that
format or if the bandwidth is too high for your network using profiles.
There are several profiles that are configured for common blu-ray
players/televisions.

It's working great and it's open source.  It runs on Windows, too, if you
need that, and I think it runs on a Mac.  You can install a PHP
configuration program on your web server and manage it all from a browser
(this was a little harder to install but boiled down to PHP dependencies).
You can browse the videos by folder or by metadata.  It does music, too.
I'm very impressed with it.  You can run it alongside mythtv seamlessly.

I think there are other options available for DLNA servers.  I liked the
features of Serviio the best but YMMV.

Jerry