[mythtv-users] Backend Server Client with FrontEnd Server

Ryan Rolland ryanrolland at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:02:46 UTC 2012

Been looking at setting up MythTV. Would like to be able to stream to a
remote location.

At the prospective remote location I have access to the router and can
configure port forwarding but at the server location I do not. I am curious
if MythTV has a mode of operation that allows you to run the Backend Server
as a client and the FrontEnd Client as a Server, i.e. have a listening
socket configured on the FrontEnd and periodically have the server try to
establish a connection? This would be a workaround for the firewall at the
backend server location.

Just thought I would ping the community. Maybe this has been addressed
before. I have seen this type of functionality with remote desktop client
software before (VNC, etc.).

Thanks, Ryan R.