[mythtv-users] Many instances of mythlogserver running and taking up 98% of CPU

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 21:27:57 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 12:58 PM, Matthias.myth wrote:

> I have checked for "Starting mythlogserver" entries in /var/log/mythtv/*.log files, and there are many. What I see is that, just by quickly
> looking at the results, there are cases where it has been started twice within periods of a few seconds, or even twice in the same second:
>
> mythpreviewgen.log:Nov 30 23:40:47 ***** mythlogserver: mythpreviewgen[19343]: I Logger logging.cpp:487 (launchLogServer) Starting mythlogserver
> mythpreviewgen.log:Nov 30 23:40:47 ***** mythlogserver: mythpreviewgen[19343]: I Logger logging.cpp:487 (launchLogServer) Starting mythlogserver
> mythpreviewgen.log:Nov 30 23:40:49 ***** mythlogserver: mythpreviewgen[19365]: I Logger logging.cpp:487 (launchLogServer) Starting mythlogserver
> and here
>
> mythbackend.log:Dec  1 04:59:20 ***** mythlogserver: mythbackend[13933]: I Logger logging.cpp:487 (launchLogServer) Starting mythlogserver
> mythbackend.log:Dec  1 04:59:43 ***** mythlogserver: mythbackend[13933]: I Logger logging.cpp:487 (launchLogServer) Starting mythlogserver
> mythbackend.log:Dec  1 05:01:37 ***** mythlogserver: mythbackend[13933]: I Logger logging.cpp:487 (launchLogServer) Starting mythlogserver
>
> That should not happen, if I understand the wiki entry correctly, right?

I agree, or at the very least don't understand. Here's a link to my myth*2012*.log
files right now.

     http://paste.ubuntu.com/1408615/

Note there are 31 log files and in only one case did a "helper" program
start the logserver (mythmetadatalookup.) In that case, the mythmetadatalookup log
had this "...Received Real-time signal 0..." in it. I'd be curious to know if that
matches with any of the multiple 'Starting mythlogserver' cases.

Another 12.04 *buntuism, please try: zgrep 'Segmentation fault' myth*.log* | grep -v handler
on your log files. Any hits that match up with the multiple logserver startups?

Also, note that in: http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/logging.cpp#n451,
launchServer will be used to restart the logserver if a heartbeat isn't replied to
within 5 seconds (I know, it doesn't explain restarting in 0 seconds.)

To answer one of your points in the private mail, there is no piping involved. The
log entries are passed by TCP, and there's a link to the ZeroMQ page in Wiki. It was
more prominent, but I moved it to the bottom since it *shouldn't* be something that
any MythTV user needs to be concerned with. There's an intro page on their site with
some videos about it. And you're right, this is info only, the multiple occurrences
is the main issue here.

You could start mythbackend with --verbose system, to watch programs start mythlogserver.
See line 496 in the above. That's how it gets started, if that answers you other question.

sudo netstat -pant | grep 35327 should show all active logserver users.

--
Bill