[mythtv-users] AppleTV suitability as FE?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Dec 3 16:19:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:50:39AM -0700, Tyler T wrote:
> >    The ARM based ATVs need a transcoding server like Plex to do the heavy lifting.
>
> I would phrase that as, "The ARM based ATVs need a functional client
> like XBMC to utilize the hardware decoder." From my perspective, the
> ATV isn't the thing with the deficiency, it's MythTV that is lacking.

   No. Crap is crap. There is really no getting around it. You can try
polishing the turd all you want and try to spin it any way you want. The
hardware is limited. It is an iTunes extender and if you have anything
remotely interesting in terms of content, you are out of luck.

   It is not the fault of MythTV that it doesn't pander to a device that
is cheap and crippled and limited from a vendor that's late to the party.

   Also, you have to violate the DMCA just to get XBMC on an ATV2.

   It's like an ION nettop but without a decent CPU and without most of
the acceleration features that come with ION GPUs.

   Elgato's PVR solution for the HD-PVR even goes to the trouble of recording
a second stream to deal with just this problem.