[mythtv-users] Consequences of drive failure

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Dec 3 00:23:56 UTC 2012

On 3/12/2012 11:22 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> Actually in the end I had to use dd or dd_rescue to make an image and
> then copied them off the image (the drive was quite badly broken as a
> result of stupid me ignoring the first sign of trouble - never again!)

What was the first sign of trouble?  In my experience lost sectors may
be a few lost randomnly or a sign that more are looming but whether more
are looming and how quickly is the next batch going to occur seems pure
speculation.  How quickly the number change seems a relevant
consideration, if the number is climbing.... = alarm bells?!

Also the temp the drive is running at also seems relevant to me.  A
recent case change for me resulted in temp drops from ~ 52 degrees down
to ~ 32 degrees.  Got to be good for my drives, surely?!

One of my 2TB drives has suddenly got 516 bad sectors, should I replace
it asap?  (!)  I am considering how I copy it to a 3TB drive as a
replacement...