[mythtv-users] Consequences of drive failure

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Dec 2 19:41:36 UTC 2012

On 2/12/2012 8:32 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2012 8:25 AM, "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> <mailto:mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Okay. So I've discovered that one of the two 500Gb drives in my
> recording storage group is failing, enough that I'm getting jumps during
> playback and indecipherable error messages in dmesg.
>  >
>  > I've ascertained that there is enough auto-expirable files in the
> system that I can run on one drive until the newly-ordered ones arrive
> next week, so I've pulled the SATA cable. It's not comfortable, but
> doable, and the alternative is writing fresh recordings to a dying disk.
>  >
>  > My question is, how does the system react when you take half the
> recordings away? They are all still present in the database, but is
> there any indication that they are or are not available for watching?
>
> I think there will be some error message when you try to play a missing
> recording. No other indication in the gui.

In mythweb | Recorded programs where the recordings not found the file
size is also shown with a "B" I think that would show in the case of a
removed drive for the relevant recordings but I've not tested that scenario.

My thread on "Batch Download and Archive Recordings With Expanded File
Names" may be of interest as an interim backup option to at least
harvest the recordings with sensible file names to cover the transplant
failing.