[mythtv-users] libmythtv.so to fix PVR-x50 Problem

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sun Dec 2 16:51:33 UTC 2012

On 11/25/2012 03:58 PM, Sean Donovan wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> Could you send me the libmythtv.so file you generated with the Itskinol
> patch <http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10732>?
>
> I can't wait for them to patch it through regular channels.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Sean.

to share this patched library file, and I felt I should try to politely
explain why I will not share the patched, binary file.

The main reason is that the library file I created on my system would be
fairly specific to my system.  If you are not running Fedora Linux, and
the binary RPMs from RPMFusion, version 0.25.2, as I am, this isn't
going to work.

Even if you are running MythTV using the RPMFusion binaries, I have no
idea if the various source libraries and header files I have installed
on my system would make the library I created work - or not work - on
your systems.  It may make a difference - it may not.  The old version
of the libmythtv.so file from RPMFusion, without the patch, was 9.4MB.
The new, patched version, is 67MB.  Why?  Did I unknowingly build it
with debug information?  Did something else get included that shouldn't
have been?  I have no clue.

Which leads to my final point, and I hope you'll understand - I do not
wish to get into a situation where I am asked to provide support for
something I barely understand.  If the file I provide to you and other
users does not work, it then becomes my responsibility to investigate
and explain why.  If through no fault of your own, you don't have the
necessary skills and knowledge to troubleshoot the problem, no one can
expect you to figure out why it wouldn't be working on what seems like
an otherwise identical system.  You would then quite naturally conclude
- as would others - that the binary file does not in fact work - it does
not fix the problem it was implied to fix.

And because the reason it is not working is most likely some subtle
incompatibility between my system, libraries, headers, etc. - and those
on your system, even though everything seems to be exactly the same - it
unfairly throws the correctness of the original patch into doubt, which
does a dis-service to the developer of that patch.

I am not a MythTV developer, I am a user like you.  Over the years, in
participating in this and other projects as a user or tester, I have
learned enough to be able to compile source code, apply patch files, and
test the results.  I was affected by the bug in question, and hoped to
do the community a small favor by testing the patch and providing
feedback.  But that is all I really have time for, unfortunately.

If you are uncomfortable re-producing the steps I took to apply the
patch to my system, I understand - I've been there myself.  But other
than asking you to take the time to learn how to download the source for
whichever MythTV distribution you are using, and applying this patch to
your own system, I would ask that you wait for the volunteers working at
MythTV and whatever binary distribution you are using to incorporate
this patch into one of their releases.

Thanks.