[mythtv-users] writeData: Error, zerocnt timeout , writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock ?

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Sun Dec 2 16:47:53 UTC 2012

http://files.jessen.ch/mythtv-writestring-No-data-written-on-writeBlock

>> My setup is a couple of weeks old, frontend+backend on openSUSE
>> 12.2, hauppauge DVB-S cards, mythtv 0.25, kernel 3.4.11.  The
>> frontend is connected via wifi.
>>
>> All hints or pointers much appreciated!
>>

> Best hint is that an excerpt showing only one line from the log file
> (or, a grep for the multiple repeats of that line) is pretty much
> useless for debugging what's actually happening.
> I don't know why people don't--but they should--always post a
> default-verbosity log showing startup of a program through failure.

Everything else looked unrelated, but point taken.

> But, if you want guesses of which of the hundreds (thousands) of
> possible problems that could cause this particular symptom is to blame
> in your case, I guess I could start with a guess that your hard drive
> is dying.

It's about a year old, but never used until deployed in this backend.
I'm running the SMART short selftest once a day, the long selftest
every week.

> If I didn't hit the jackpot on the first guess, you'll need to
> get others to guess the other couple hundred problems--I don't have
> time to play this game a lot.  ;)
>
> Seriously, though, first stop in debugging any issue should be a
> default-verbosity log showing application startup through failure.
> For you, that means mythfrontend and, most likely, mythbackend.  Shut
> them both down, then restart mythbackend, then mythfrontend, then play
> back a recording until you see the issue, then grab copies of the logs
> since startup and post them or a link to them.
>
> Note that you're not the only person who's failing to include logs and
> is making the list play the guessing game.  It's actually a rampant
> problem, right now.  You were just the unlucky person to whom I
> responded with a plea for people to provide logs--and not excerpts of
> logs (as the person who can't figure out what's wrong is the worst
> possible person to decide what information in the log is actually
> relevant).

Here's the backend logs from startup to problem:

http://files.jessen.ch/mythbackend.20121128230632.12964.log.gz
http://files.jessen.ch/mythbackend.20121128060007.8528.log.gz

I don't see any frontend log anywhere, I guess I would need to enable
that explicitly.

I have not seen the problem again, let me know if you need any other
diagnostics.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.3°C)