[mythtv-users] Consequences of drive failure

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Dec 1 19:23:43 UTC 2012

Okay. So I've discovered that one of the two 500Gb drives in my recording
storage group is failing, enough that I'm getting jumps during playback and
indecipherable error messages in dmesg.

I've ascertained that there is enough auto-expirable files in the system that I
can run on one drive until the newly-ordered ones arrive next week, so I've
pulled the SATA cable. It's not comfortable, but doable, and the alternative is
writing fresh recordings to a dying disk.

My question is, how does the system react when you take half the recordings
away? They are all still present in the database, but is there any indication
that they are or are not available for watching?

I have ordered /two/ replacement drives. I plan to copy all recordings from both
old drives to the new ones, then keep the good 'old' drive as a spare.

Edit: It's not so easy as pulling out a SATA plug... fsck throws conniptions
when you next boot... I've had to edit fstab as well.

--

Mike Perkins