[mythtv-users] Moving Recordings to mythvideo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 1 12:40:43 UTC 2012

On 12/01/2012 06:33 AM, jdoe wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> while I am running mythtv nearly 10 Years, I have now a big collection
> of recordings (~2000 movies and series-episodes). In general the
> navigation within the recordings becomes a little bit unclear. OK -
> the new season/epsiode handling of series was a big step forward and
> collecting all series within a recording-group makes live easier.
> But the navigation within the movies is a little bit painful. Having
> round about 1000 Movies sorted by recording-time makes live not easy.
> The only change to find a recording is to search within the alphabetic
> ordered view on left side. But thats all :-(
> Maybe in the future some search filters will available like find all
> recording with "Alien" in the title ... but not for now.
>
> Mythvideo has the filter! :-)
>
> So i plan to move all my recordings (only the nice ones, cutted and
> transcoded) into mythvideo. Moving and renaming the files isn't a big
> thing, because I have written a
> sql-query-rename-copy-move-bla-bla-shell-script that will do the job
> for me.
>
> So my questions:
> Is it a good idea moving recording into mythvideo in my situation

IMHO,  Video Library (formerly known as MythVideo) is the place for
archiving large collections of video--as you've seen, its UI is much
more appropriate and makes navigation and finding videos easier (you can
organize videos however you like using a hierarchical
organization--using directories).  Any video that you plan to keep
should be moved to Video Library, and videos may be moved even
"temporarily" to reduce clutter in Watch Recordings (if you have 2000
videos, it's not like you'll watch and delete them all tomorrow).

I've written several treatises on why this approach is best.  Feel free
to read for more reasons why you /should/ be moving recordings to Video
Library (exactly as you plan to):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/510330#510330
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/510542#510542
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519996#519996

> and did I have the same stable playback comfort I am used to?

Yes.

> Do I need to build seek tables for all recording?

Probably not, but a proper script can move the existing ones for you.
(See below.)

> Did the upnp/dlna works on mythvideo within storage groups?

Yes.

> I will be happy for any advise or suggestion

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py

I think it may need a newer version for current MythTV.  Raymond Wagner
may be able to help.

Mike