[mythtv-users] Prime w/ CC + HDHR QAM adding channels

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Aug 31 16:33:37 UTC 2012

> > So it's been a couple of weeks, but I finally got around to writing the
> > script that I had envisioned.  The script actually tunes each defined
> > channel on the Prime, determines the QAM channel number and program
> > (multiplex), and searches the channel table for a corresponding HDHR
> > channel.  If it finds it, it simply copies all the channel "metadata"
> from
> > the Prime channel.
> ..
> > I went ahead and posted it on the Wiki:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Prime2qam  I would love to get some feedback.
> > There is a "preview" option if you wish to test the script without
> actually
> > writing the changes to your DB.  It simply outputs the SQL that it would
> use
> > to update the table instead of making the change.
>
> Very cool! I just ran it in PREVIEW mode and it was able to match all
> the odd local access channels that I hadn't been able to identify.
> I'll take a closer look at the output before running it in normal
> mode.
>
> You had capital P in Print on your last line, so I edited the wiki to fix.

Thanks for the feedback, and correction.  Please let me know if you see any
room for improvement as you test it.

I have thought about making it more interactive, add some logging, provide
more detail to the user as it runs, having it generate an sql file and only
making the changes after prompting the user, and detecting a free tuner on
the prime rather than specifying one.  I also thought I could make it run
much faster if I let it use multiple tuners in the Prime to scan the
channels.  But in its current form it met my needs.

I also would like to determine if accessing the DB directly is the best
way.  I know there is a MythTV API for python, but I'm not sure what it is
capable of as I discovered it about 75% of the way through writing the
script and haven't looked into it.