[mythtv-users] Transcoding with and without cutlist

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:48:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/31/2012 09:42 AM, Stephen Robertson wrote:

>>> Perhaps a description of what you mean by "a problem" so that we don't
>>> have
>>> to guess based on your log output/know what we're looking for?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Sorry that wasn't very clear.  Though saying that I'm not sure what
>> the problem is other than when I run transcode on the recording I have
>> edited the log has an entry saying transcoding failed.
>>
>> Aug 30 21:53:32 bressay mythlogserver: mythtranscode[23758]: E
>> CoreContext mpeg2fix.cpp:1178 (BuildFrame) avcodec_encode_video failed
>> (0)
>> Aug 30 21:53:32 bressay mythlogserver: mythtranscode[23758]: E
>> CoreContext main.cpp:692 (main) Transcoding
>> /media/disk/Recordings/1033_20120819061000.mpg failed
>

> Is this a lossy transcode (i.e. transcoding to MPEG-4 in NuppelVideo
> container) rather than a lossless (MPEG-2 to MPEG-2) transcode?  I think
> there was recently a bug fixed on the lossy encoder that caused failures
> with some videos.  (And, FWIW, I suggest you only do lossless transcodes
> with mythtranscode.)
>

> Mike

The entirely honest answer is that I don't know!!  I just hit the
transcode menu option!

Looking at the database settings using mythweb I see

DefaultTranscoder is 0
JobQueueTranscodeCommand is mythtranscode

from the log I see

Aug 30 21:50:25 bressay mythlogserver: mythtranscode[23628]: N
CoreContext transcode.cpp:799 (GetProfile) Transcode: Using autodetect
profile: MPEG2
Aug 30 21:50:25 bressay mythlogserver: mythtranscode[23628]: N
CoreContext transcode.cpp:1273 (TranscodeFile) Switching to MPEG-2
transcoder.

so I guess it is MPEG-2 MPEG-2.

I'm not trying to save space as such so lossless would be what I was after.

Thanks
Stephen