[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi as remote transcoder

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Aug 30 22:27:00 UTC 2012

Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> says:
> Gavin Hurlbut has been working on a hardware accelerated commercial
> flagger, using VDPAU for decoding, and OpenCL for video
> processing.

While I wish Gavin luck with this ambitious effort--not least because
doing so would help lead to hardware-assisted transcoding--isn't
commflagging a more or less solved problem from a computational
standpoint?[1] With the experimental option enabled to permit the
commflagger to work on abridged data, I see speeds in the 120-140 fps
range for not-yet-finished high-definition recordings--i.e., the
flagger is spending 75% of its time waiting for more video--and 1000
fps for completed HD recordings, all on six years-old hardware.

[1] I said "computational", not functional! I know that non-US/Canada
MythTV users don't yet really benefit from commflagging.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg