[mythtv-users] Suggestions for simplest way to achieve my recording goals.

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:42:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Jeremy Jones
<jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously having a partial record option is a better solution.  If someone
> decides to look into that, I think there needs to be a "grace period"
> setting so that the user can specify not to record a partial that would miss
> more than xx minutes of the full show.  This can get real complex real quick
> as I start chasing out all the possible diverging threads here.  Entry in
> the recording table for partial recording.  Auto expire partial recordings
> first. Automatically re-record partial recordings.

Very good points.

Also, the conflict of a high priority partial recording with a low
priority full recording...  or even the possibility to re-record only
the part you missed (and add it on to an existing recording?).  Throw
the long-term scheduler into the mix, and you are right, it explodes
in complexity.  (2x partial high priority recordings trumping a single
continuous high priority?)   It could become very ugly for the end
user, with partial recordings everywhere because it was "technically"
what they asked for with the scheduling rules...

Even for your "grace period", that part alone (as I am sure you are
very well aware) could be much more complicated.
For example,
     "don't record if more than xx minutes would be missed"
is different from
     "don't record if less than xx minutes would be recorded"
which is different from
     "don't record if more than xx percent would be missed"

This will be a tricky one for the devs for sure...   if they even
decide it is worth implementing.

- rsh1k