[mythtv-users] Suggestions for simplest way to achieve my recording goals.

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 20:04:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 8/29/2012 15:37, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>

>>         I've been checking through the system and mail archives, but
>>         can't find
>>         anything to cover my specific requirement, perhaps I'm not
>>         searching for
>>         the right thing, or just not recognizing it when I see it.
>>
>>         I basically want to record a specific channel for twenty four
>>         hours but
>>         at a low priority so that if there's any "real", programmes they
>>         takes
>>         precedence.
>>

>>     Create a power rule with a single clause that just checks for the
>>     channel.  Set it to a low priority.
>>

>> I think you might still have a problem with show boundaries.
>>
>> If you create a rule to record every show on channel X, with a low
>> priority, the scheduler will use that tuner if needed to record a higher
>> priority show on channel Y.  But it will only cut over at show boundaries.
>>
>> For example if at a given time you run into this scenario:
>>
>> Channel X:   |-----show 1 ------||--------show 2-------|
>> Channel Y:   ----------|-------show 3 ------|--------------
>>
>> In this case, neither show 1 or show 2 would be recorded at all.
>>
>> As far as I know, there is no way to tell the scheduler to cut a show
>> off part way through, or start recording after the show has already
>> started.  At least not as part of a recording schedule... I know you can
>> do it manually.
>>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>

> No, that's correct. The only time it will record a partial showing is when
> you manually give it a specific time slot to record. There is no "allow
> partials" option.

Could you get there using the "Live TV" mode?

If I'm watching "Live TV", it is being recorded to disk.... all the
way up until it is interrupted by a higher priority scheduled
recording.  So in this case, "Channel X" (the one being watched on
Live TV) would get the partial recording as desired, and the tuner
would then automatically switch to "Channel Y", half way through Show
1.

What I don't know, however, is what happens after "Show 3" finishes on
Channel Y.  Will the Live TV mode switch back to the previous channel
(Channel X) and resume watching (and therefore, recording) that
channel, which is now half way through Show 2?   Or will it stay on
Channel Y after Show 3 finishes?

Additional caveats:  Live TV auto-expiration, inability to "schedule"
Live TV, etc...

- rsh1k