[mythtv-users] deinterlacing 1080i content on 720 display

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 29 14:40:44 UTC 2012

On 08/29/2012 10:00 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>> Can any
>>> users out there with 720 sets recommend if it's worth it to get the GT
>>> 430, 440, or even the 640 to get advanced 2x deinterlacing?  Or will
>>> something like 2x temporal be enough with a 720 display? There's
>>> something to be said for the lower power consumption of the GT 520.
>>> Thoughts?
>> I have a 55" 1080p capable TV and a GT 430 that I have tested and could
>> use with it but I am using a GT 520 and Temporal,2X with it because I can't
>> see any difference between Advanced,2X and Temporal,2X. And I've tried. A
>> lot.
> I was in the same dilemma last week... fanless GT 520 or a GT 430 with fan
> (fanless were too expensive).   Ended up picking up a GT 440 on ebay for
> the same price as a GT 520.
>
> Personally, if I was paying retail I probably would go with the GT520 and
> try to get it to output a native 1080i signal that my TV can deinterlace
> itself, eliminating the need for deinterlacing on the card... failing that,
> I'd probably be just fine with Temporal 2x.

You do realize that only makes sense if your TV's internal deinterlacer
is actually better than nvidia's vdpau temporal 2x deinterlacer, right?
I know that on my TV, the deinterlacer is terrible (and actually has
problems keeping up with high-bitrate video)--even software-based kernel
or linear or one-field is much better than the deint in my TV.

I don't think anyone has ever said the other-than-Advanced-2x vdpau
deinterlacers are bad and that Advanced 2x is the only one worth using.*

Mike

*In truth, I think most people just want Advanced 2x because they've
heard it's better/they like "bigger numbers"/the name says, "Advanced,"
so, of course it's the most advanced/it's part of VDPAU High, and *my*
system isn't some "Medium" or "Slim" slouch/...