[mythtv-users] Logging question

Robert Siebert trebor_s at web.de
Wed Aug 29 06:48:31 UTC 2012

Am 28.08.2012 17:21, schrieb Stefan D:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at
4:54 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>> On
08/28/2012 04:35 AM, Stefan D wrote:

>>> A few days ago i installed
mythbuntu 12.04. With that i got a working syslog for mythtv that i
hadn't bothered to fix in my old installation. It worked nice and the
logs was filling up with information.
>>> But since i need a few patches
and changes to myth i compile from source. So i compiled and installed
from my old source directory, did a git pull first, and installed. But
now it seems that the syslog logging has stopped. So i wonder if i
should have compiled with some extra options? Or how could i try to find
the problem?
>> Did you switch from 0.25-fixes to unstable/development
version? If so, you'll need to set up a few more things.

>> Mike

> I guess i
am. Mythbuntu 12.04 is probably running the latest stable version, which
should be 0.25-fixes. And then i compile from source to run the
development version.

> What things do i need to set up?

/Stefan

Hi Stefan,

mythtv routes all logging stuff through the mythlogserver now. I also
had to change my syslog-ng (not rsyslog) configuration. I don't know if
mythbuntu uses syslog, syslog-ng or rsyslog and the mythtv wiki only
provides infos for rsyslog.

In the /etc/syslog-ng.conf file I added
under destinations:

wrote:

>> On 08/28/2012 04:35 AM, Stefan D wrote:
>>
>>> A few days
ago i installed mythbuntu 12.04. With that i got a working syslog for
mythtv that i hadn't bothered to fix in my old installation. It worked
nice and the logs was filling up with information.
>>> But since i need
a few patches and changes to myth i compile from source. So i compiled
and installed from my old source directory, did a git pull first, and
installed. But now it seems that the syslog logging has stopped. So i
wonder if i should have compiled with some extra options? Or how could i
try to find the problem?
>> Did you switch from 0.25-fixes to
unstable/development version? If so, you'll need to set up a few more
things.

>> Mike

> I guess i
am. Mythbuntu 12.04 is probably running the latest stable version, which
should be 0.25-fixes. And then i compile from source to run the
development version.

> What things do i need to set up?

/Stefan

Hi Stefan,

mythtv routes all logging stuff through the mythlogserver now. I also
had to change my syslog-ng (not rsyslog) configuration. I don't know if
mythbuntu uses syslog, syslog-ng or rsyslog and the mythtv wiki only
provides infos for rsyslog.

In the /etc/syslog-ng.conf file I added
the following lines below. This puts the logging info from the frontend,
backend, ... into a separate logfile:

_destination mythbackend {
file("/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log"); };_
_destination mythfrontend {
file("/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log"); };_
_destination
mythfilldatabase { file("/var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log");
};_
_destination mythcommflag {
file("/var/log/mythtv/mythcommflag.log"); };_
_destination
mythpreviewgen { file("/var/log/mythtv/mythpreviewgen.log");
};_
_destination mythmetadatalookup {
file("/var/log/mythtv/mythmetadatalookup.log"); };_
_destination
mythlogserver { file("/var/log/mythtv/mythlogserver.log"); };_

_filter
f_mythbackend { facility("local7") and match("mythbackend"
value("MESSAGE")); };_
_filter f_mythfrontend { facility("local7") and
match("mythfrontend" value("MESSAGE")); };_
_filter f_mythcommflag {
facility("local7") and match("mythcommflag" value("MESSAGE"));
};_
_filter f_mythpreviewgen { facility("local7") and
match("mythpreviewgen" value("MESSAGE")); };_
_filter
f_mythmetadatalookup { facility("local7") and match("mythmetadatalookup"
value("MESSAGE")); };_
_filter f_mythfilldatabase { facility("local7")
and match("mythfilldatabase" value("MESSAGE")); };_
_filter
f_mythlogserver { facility("local7") and match("mythlogserver"
value("MESSAGE")); };_

_log { source(src); filter(f_mythbackend);
destination(mythbackend); };_
_log { source(src);
filter(f_mythfrontend); destination(mythfrontend); };_
_log {
source(src); filter(f_mythfilldatabase); destination(mythfilldatabase);
};_
_log { source(src); filter(f_mythcommflag);
destination(mythcommflag); };_
_log { source(src);
filter(f_mythpreviewgen); destination(mythpreviewgen); };_
_log {
source(src); filter(f_mythmetadatalookup);
destination(mythmetadatalookup); };_
_log { source(src);
filter(f_mythlogserver); destination(mythlogserver); };_

Then you just
need to restart the syslog-ng daemon and start the backend with
"mythbackend --syslog local7" and the frontend "mythfrontend --syslog
local7" and you should see stuff in the logs.

Maybe this can be added
to the wiki if it helps.

Best regards

Robert S