[mythtv-users] Netbook as low-power combined back-end / front-end?

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 13:09:33 UTC 2012

In article
<CABNmk6rGUuqYxuRxsMCz=kNNmRfhagYsZifj6YCDXt3f7j_avw at mail.gmail.com>,
Rsh1k wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on running a combined
> front/back MythTV setup on a netbook?

I use Asus Aspire Revo nettops as both front and back ends. These
things are netbook hardware but without the screen and keyboard.

I use the single core for front and dual core for backend, but have no
doubt that a single core would be fine for both.

The combination of vdpau and ion means they are ticking over even when
doing 1080p. ioload is low despite us having four USB DVB-T tuners
connected.

I bought the Linpus version and stuck mythbuntu straight on them. Some
vendors seem to want you to buy Windows as part of a bundle, but I'd
hope you can avoid that.

Ian