[mythtv-users] HTTP Live Streaming over SSH

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Mon Aug 27 19:22:13 UTC 2012

On 27.08.2012 19:27, Daniel Frey wrote:

> Can you give me some high-level instructions on setting this up.  Also,
> a recommended client for Android. I will put together a wiki page on it
> and put it with the other wiki I wrote on the ssh tunnel.

The complexity depends on your router.

Basically you
a) flick the "act as pptp/vpn server" switch in your broadband router
b) pick a vpn username/password
c) pick any dyndns provider and setup an account
d) enable the dyndns client part in your broadband router

e) Then just enter the dyndns hostname, username and password in your
    mobile device (and you better be using ICS, due to
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4369
    I don't like trusting random apps with my vpn credentials so I have
    no idea whats on the market)

> You mentioned that UPNP works, I assume ZeroConf can also be recognized
> over the VPN?  I am using ZeroConf in Mythtv-for-Android for discovery.

If your broadband router properly pushes the multicast packets around
(acting as a bridge instead of a router to connect VPN and LAN)
everything should "just work".

Of course you can move the dyndns client and pptp server to your master
backend and enable only some port forwarding in your router.

Regards,
Karl