[mythtv-users] hardware advice: ivy bridge vs nvidia

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 27 18:54:38 UTC 2012

> > >For an HTPC in particular there are other considerations: noise and
> > >power, both of which imply a concern with heat.
> > >
> > You think that an HTPC will /ever/ need an i7 and 32Gb RAM? [*]
>
>     No. But an HTPC may need something more powerful than an Atom. You
> might
> find something that chokes the hardware decoder on your GPU or you may just
> prefer some alternate software decoder for a particular bit of content.

And as of right now, I don't believe there is any (commonly available)
content that cannot be reliably decoded in software by a Celeron G540.  And
when you need a faster processor, you should be able to get it far cheaper
than you can now.  I bought my Pentium Dual Core when it was ~$50, and now
I can upgrade to a Core 2 Quad for as little as $7 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4d040359fb&item=330779810299&nma=true&pt=CPUs&rt=nc&si=Gr8ZQJLaZSBXSizNrNNeT3mFG4I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And I am quite certain that, 4 years later, my old Intel DG965WH LGA 755
based system can still be a viable frontend for at least 4 more with that
cheap $7 upgrade.... and maybe another $10 for a 2GB RAM upgrade:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3378d134c3&item=221070308547&nma=true&pt=US_Memory_RAM_&rt=nc&si=Gr8ZQJLaZSBXSizNrNNeT3mFG4I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Mythtv doesn't need the latest hardware... don't waste your money getting
the fastest system.  Just be sure your buying the right stuff so you can
upgrade later.