[mythtv-users] Volume is reduced during commercials

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 27 16:10:10 UTC 2012

> > >  Monkey Pet wrote:
> > > I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
> > > about 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I
> > > quit LiveTV and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using
> > > 0.25/fixes. Is myth doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?
> >
> > Usually people complain when the volume is higher during a commercial.
> > If Myth really does something to the volume I would take it as a feature
> > rather than a bug...
>

> Being 100% serious, I would LOVE to have a feature where the volume is
> halved during commercials!
>
> On the channels I watch, the commercial detection isn't 100%
> reliable...  so I don't have MythTV set to auto-skip.  Instead, I have
> it notify, and then I manually skip with the remote.   But in the mean
> time, there are HUGE volume swings because the commercials are so
> loud.
>
> If the volume could be dropped automatically by a pre-set amount
> during the detected commercials, this would be a fantastic feature!
>

> (Is there a formal way to suggest or request features like this?)

Even if there were... not sure how it would solve your problem.

If commercial detection works, you could auto skip... if it doesn't why
would you want to have your show running at 50% volume for some duration.
 Inevitably you would need to crank up your volume to compensate then get
blasted when the incorrectly detected commercial ended.

Not a feature I see getting implemented anytime soon.