[mythtv-users] Netbook as low-power combined back-end / front-end?

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 15:29:35 UTC 2012

Hello.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on running a combined
front/back MythTV setup on a netbook?

My current MythTV setup works perfectly (dual HD tuners, LIRC, etc,
etc)...  but most of the hardware is over 10 years old now!   I have
no pressing need to "upgrade", and the only reason to "downgrade" to
something newer/slower would be for power/heat/size reasons.  I figure
I spend around $140-170 per year in electricity costs to run my
current (old) mythbox.

I was looking at some of the mini-ITX motherboard offerings, and it
occurred to me that I could just use a netbook instead.

Benefits:
   * Very small, and portable if needed  (travel, etc)
   * Battery acts as a built-in UPS (2-4 hours of runtime)
   * HD decoding up to 1080p would be possible via a Broadcom Crystal
HD mini-pcie card, or with a NVIDIA ION-based netbook with VDPAU
   * Very low power ( <25 watts )
   * Compact (could just velcro it to the back of the TV)

I would probably look for a netbook with a broken screen to save some
$$... and I would need to buy the Crystal HD card and a few USB tuners
(or a networked HDHomeRun) to finish it off.   But otherwise, I figure
the payoff period would only be about a year.. maybe a year and a half
at most.  After that, it would start saving me money - and I'm in this
for the long run.

Has anyone tried this?   Any major reasons *not* to do it?

Thanks
- rsh1k