[mythtv-users] Newbie Question..?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 27 04:04:46 UTC 2012

> Dear List,
>     I just discovered MythTv so forgive me if I'm so late to the game that
> I'm at the wrong ballfield.
>    I have a Customer that is in the Limo Party Bus Charter biz and is
> looking to install a camera system on board the Limo Bus. However, like
> every other biz owner, he is looking for the cheapest possible way of
> accomplishing this project. I was thinking of installing *Analog Cameras *for
> dollar reasons, going to a mobile DVR (analog to IP) and a *Wi-Fi* connection
> at the garage for downloading to a local server for data storage using
> MythTV. The local server would be able accessable via MythTV for him and
> his  ops guys access on a private LAN for viewing. Again not having any
> experience with MythTV, is this even possible and the best options.
> Analog Guy

This is absolutely possible... mythtv may not be the ideal tool if your
goal is just to review the video recorded once you get back to the office.
 Like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail.  I'd just organize my videos
into folders and use VLC to watch them.

Mythtv's strength is television.

Personally, having been on these party buses in the past an seen what goes
on, I'm sure it would make for entertaining watching afterward, but I am
not so sure that adding cameras is such a good idea. I know I would not be
a happy customer if I discovered that I was being recorded.