[mythtv-users] hardware advice: ivy bridge vs nvidia

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Aug 26 21:42:03 UTC 2012

It sounds as if Sandy Bridge remains problematic for video, and so I was
thinking of getting a system with
i3-2120 http://www.provantage.com/YITEP3CR.htm and
GT440 based fanless
http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT440_DC_SLDI1GD3/#

For just a bit more I could get Ivy Bridge
i5-2400S http://www.provantage.com/~7ITEP3F0.htm

Ivy Bridge supposedly is better, but not perfect, on the tearing.
But I haven't seen a lot of success reports with any Intel graphics.

Is it reasonable to expect the Ivy bridge to work, or would the i3/GT440
combo be better?  Something else?

This is primarily for a FE, but since I also want to run
Windows on it I figured I needed a CPU with more oomph than the bare
minimum.  Also, I may want to offload some BE processing onto it.

Thanks for any advice.
Ross Boylan